Thursday, May 22, 2014

Race Recap: Rite Aid Cleveland Half (5/18/14)


I have so much to update since my last post. As it turns out my bad attitude was just a bad attitude and based very little on reality. That's good because that means I can control it. 

As I mentioned last week, I was worried I was unprepared for the Cleveland half marathon. Although I had run a half in March, I took a week or two off from training due to a twisted ankle. Then I was traveling a lot and got slammed at work. Excuses, excuses – I know – but sometimes life gets in the way of a beautiful training schedule and I swear this was one of those times. 

Since I couldn't change the past, I decided to prepare for the future. I created an AMAZING playlist (amazing by my standards only) and I printed out a pace bracelet. The playlist was a big deal for me because for the past two years I have had the same boring music on my iPod and it did not pump me up to run at all. I know that most people figured this out a long time ago, but for some reason I am only now discovering what an important motivator music can be. The playlist also gave me something to look forward to – I couldn't wait to run the race for the sole purpose of listening to the perfect blend of Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, Eminem, and a few Bollywood songs (like I said, this playlist was amazing by my standards only). The pace bracelet also helped me to feel like I had some control over the outcome of this race that I had so poorly prepared for. It helped me to focus on each mile I was running instead of freaking out about how many I had left.

Aside from the coolest playlist ever and my pace bracelet, the race itself was nice and uneventful. The weather was a perfect 50 degrees and sunny. The crowd, particularly near the finish line, was huge and of course everyone was friendly. I didn't have to wait long for my post-race beer – always a plus.

Most importantly though – I PRed by about a minute! I was honestly very surprised and obviously very happy. It made realize that pacing is key for me and that I can push myself more than I have been.

Post-race smiley time*

That being said, I think I am now ready for a marathon.

*Note: My running clothes are getting way too colorful. I look like a pre-teen who loves horses, the Disney Channel, and glitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment