Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Let’s Have Fun Again


These past few days have been a blur.

I went out of town to see family; had an audition; dealt with disappointment; second-guessed myself; took care of myself; prematurely celebrated the end of a project; and then more family. I'm exhausted and have an even busier week ahead of me (new improv class, book club, and improv practice group), but I feel like I've made it through the busy peak. 

I am spending the rest of the summer getting back on track with my health and mindfulness. Going out of town every weekend is exhausting and I tend to discard my healthy routine. I tend to sleep less, eat more, and my apartment is a disaster.

I mentioned that I had an audition. Without going into detail, I will say that it has left me in a weird place about improv. My confidence is dwindling and I'm questioning if I want to continue at all. After the audition, I seriously considered writing a post entitled "This blog is no longer about improv." I am trying to be optimistic, to take things as they come, and not be competitive (even with myself), but at what point do you cut your losses and acknowledge that something is causing more stress than happiness in your life? But is that giving up?

I really don't know. My plan for the next few weeks at least is to take a step back and try to have fun with improv. No more worrying about what my teachers or classmates or friends think. No more overanalyzing every scene. Additionally, I want to focus on all the things that make me happy: walking my dog, cooking, meditating, exploring new places, and watching really crappy TV (<3 Royal Pains). My life is more than one hobby, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment