Sunday, April 20, 2014

Why do I want to blog, anyways?


For me

Mostly, I want to blog for myself (I know, totally selfish). Within the past year, I have finally gotten a handle on insecurities and anxious feelings and have accomplished many goals that before seemed unattainable. I got the promotion I wanted, beat my goal in my 4th half-marathon, and I reconnected with my love of performing and theater. 

So I want and need to record and process what I've learned about saying "no" to insecurity, "yes" to taking chances, and "possibly" to achieving crazy dreams. I want to continue setting new goals for myself and pushing myself to question limits I have set for myself. 

For her

When I was kid, I had no fear. When I went skiing with my family, I wanted to take on the black diamond slopes and the totally fun moguls, even though they were probably taller than me. I was never afraid to talk to strangers and brag about my accomplishments, such as owning a pound puppy (those toys were the coolest). I truly believed I was capable of anything and everything and did not care what the haterz had to say. (I'm pretty sure we didn't use the term "haterz" in the 90s, but I can't remember if there is an equivalent. I'll watch some Dawson's Creek and get back to you on this one).
I remember in the third or fourth grade we had to write an "essay" on who we wanted to be when we grew up. I was raised Catholic, attended Catholic schools, and at this age, I thought Catholicism was the coolest, right up there with Pound Puppies. I wrote that I wanted to be a priest when I grew up. My teacher informed that women could not be priests, which even then I knew was total BS and knocked down my love of Catholicism to the level of jelly shoes that give you blisters. So instead I wrote that I wanted to be President of the United States. This answer was deemed acceptable, but then my parents needed to point down that we'd never had a woman President.

I'm not sure when if that's when I started settling for less and dismissed my dreams, but it's a memory that has stayed with me. I want the kid version of myself to feel proud of herself as an adult. So it's time to dream big!

For you

Runners, improv performers/lovers, anyone with a dream they are or have been afraid to achieve.
If you have similar goals and/or similar challenges, we can connect, geek out together, and offer advice. What's the point of writing if it doesn't bring people together? (even if it's in debate). Improv lovers, theater nerds, runners, and anyone seeking peace – let's be friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment